Friday 17 June 2011

We need to talk: on finding my voice and the importance of talking about everything

A lot has happened with me in the last three years; things that have fundamentally changed my life, my outlook and my priorities.  I have become a (single) parent.  I have taken voluntary redundancy from a long-term job and am now working independently.  And I have been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis (a chronic and often debilitating autoimmune disease). 

And for three years I have been a lurker.  I have looked online for people with similar experiences, and have taken great comfort and reassurance from what I have found, and I am not alone - apparently  '1 in 4 internet users who experienced a recent medical crisis went online to find someone like them: http://pewrsr.ch/mpPHDN' (via @SusannahFox https://twitter.com/#!/SusannahFox/status/72742618563493888).  If anything, I am surprised the figure is not higher.

Up until now, I have not been ready to talk much about my own experience. but increasingly I feel it is important to add my voice to the body of experience that is amassing online - particularly in relation to health matters, where there is some vital advocacy work being done.  I am also finding that the conversations I am now having with people going through similar things are invaluable in terms of helping me to feel connected and come to terms with my illness.  At the very least, I hope that what I have to say will provide that element of human connection and comparison for people going through a similar experience.  And it would be even better if we could have a chat about it!

2 comments:

  1. Your voice is being heard. Keep talking...keep writing...and yes, it would be wonderful to chat about it too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being so supportive and for joining in - it's a pleasure to meet you!

    ReplyDelete